Dental Implants are the closest replacement thing to a natural tooth. It is a titanium screw, which is surgically placed into the jaw bone. They resemble artificial root and the crown.
Once Dental implants are placed, it bonds with the surrounding bone. It has three parts, implant body, abutment and crown.
The abutment connects the dental implant with the crowns. If you are considering implants, you must have healthy gums and adequate bone to support the implant.
If your bone is too thin or soft and unable to support an implant, you may require a bone graft.
Consequently, if there is not enough bone height in the upper jaw or the sinuses are too close to the jaw, you may require a sinus lift.
Advantages of Dental Implants
- Enhances your smile and it feels and functions like healthy teeth.
- Dental implants actually preserve the jaw bone. It acts like a natural tooth, so you don’t have to take it out for cleaning purposes. Simply floss & brush around it like a normal tooth.
- Your speech will not be altered, so you can talk confidently. Also, you don’t have to worry about it falling out while talking or laughing.
Different Types of Implants
- Traditional Implants
Where tooth / teeth are missing & an implant is put in after bone is formed in the socket.
- Immediate loading Implant
Where implant is placed in the socket right after the extraction.
- All in 4 Implants
These are for implant supported dentures. 4 implants are placed either on upper or lower jaw and then with special connector dentures are clipped on the implants.
What to Expect During the Implant Procedure
- Local anesthetics is used so patient does not feel anything.
- Dentist may take more x-rays & after thorough treatment planning, dentist surgically places the implant in the jaw bone.
- Little discomfort or pain or swelling is expected after the placement which can be very well controlled by antibiotic and pain meds.
- Osteointegration: After placing the implant, the new bone starts forming between the implant & surrounding bone which bonds tightly between the two. New bone takes a few months to fully form and stabilize the implant.
- Your dentist will take more x-rays to make sure osteointegration is done completely.
- Placing the prosthesis. Once osteointegration is complete, dentist takes a custom mold for the crown & within few weeks the crown is connected to the implant through the abutment.
Ensure Dental Care, your family dentist in Saginaw Tx provides treatment for Dental Implants. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Rashi to understand the best treatment required to maintain a good Oral health. Contact us on 682-213-4114 today.