What is a Dental Bridge?
A bridge is 3-unit prosthesis that relies on support from healthy teeth surrounding the gap left by a missing tooth or teeth.
The 3-unit prosthesis consist of missing tooth we called as pontic and surrounding teeth which are to be reshaped are called as abutment. It is permanently cemented to the teeth.
Why Should I Get a Dental Bridge?
- Restore your beautiful smile
- Restore your bite
- Restore your chewing ability
- Distribute the forces in your bite properly by replacing missing teeth
- Prevent adjacent teeth to drift in the missing tooth place
Different Types of Dental Bridges
- Traditional bridge
- Maryland bridge
- Cantilever bridge
- Implant supported bridge
How Do I Get a Dental Bridge?
Bridge usually takes more than one dental visit. The dentist numbs your teeth so do not feel any pain.
On the first visit, the dentist prepares the teeth adjacent to the missing tooth, on both sides of the gap. A mold is taken at this visit and sent to the lab. A custom shade is taken to match the remaining teeth.
A temporary bridge is given to protect the abutment teeth. After the permanent bridge is ready, the dentist fits and adjusts in the mouth and if everything looks good the bridge gets permanently cemented to the teeth.
What Materials are used in a Bridge?
- Porcelain ceramic
- Porcelain fused to metal
How to Care for Your Bridge
A bridge can fail if the supporting teeth or the jawbone is damaged by dental disease.
Follow these tips for good oral health:
- Brush and floss every day, keep your teeth clean.
- Always clean below the bridge. You can buy a special floss to help you clean below the bridge more effectively
- See your dentist regularly for exams and periodic cleanings.
- Eat a healthy diet
- Use of mouth rinses after brushing also helps keeping the bridge clean.
Ensure Dental Care, your family dentist at Saginaw Tx provides various dental treatments. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Rashi to understand the best treatment required for you. Contact us on 682-213-4114 today.