Wondering what are the social six? And what does that have to do with dentistry and why should we be reading about it? Fret not. Your favorite blog is back to explain these terms and why they should interest you.
What is the social six?
The top front six teeth that we see when person smiles are known as the social six. Many cosmetic treatments focus only on these 6 teeth. And whether we should only look at the social six when going in for orthodontic treatments and smile correction procedures is the topic of exploration of today’s blog.
So, should we be looking at only the social six?
While from the point of view of a layman this may be the easiest and pocket friendly solution for correcting one’s smile, professional dentists even cosmetic dentists disagree. Focusing only on the front six teeth will lead to an artificial smile and guess what you don’t just smile, you speak and you also eat with your teeth. The fact is that people show at least 8 upper teeth when they smile and at least 6 lower teeth when they talk! So, if you focus your cosmetic orthodontic treatment only to the social six you may be doing injustice to yourself. For the most natural-looking smile it is best to treat 2, 4, 8, or 10 upper teeth and also ensure that the bottom teeth match. However, we would not want you to write off the social six treatments options right away because they can be an effective and attractive treatment option for many. And let us not forget that in the case of traditional braces, treatment time can be an average of 18 months while Social 6 braces can straighten your teeth in much less time, due to them having to work on fewer teeth.
What are the social 6 treatment options available?
Social 6 braces can be an ideal option for people looking for a quick, effective teeth straightening solution in case of minor alignment issues. Social six braces can be used to correct a wide range of mild orthodontic issues like overcrowding of teeth, mild misalignment, and minor relapsing after other orthodontic treatment like retainers. While they are extremely effective in straightening teeth, they are usually not recommended for severe misalignment and other orthodontic issues. It is important to note they are effective for cosmetic purposes only.
Now a days there is a growing demand for social 6 braces and there are varied varieties available in the market to choose from. These include options such as clear or invisible aligners from brands like Six Month Smiles and fixed braces with clear or tooth-colored brackets like Invisalign. Here are some of the options of braces one can choose from –
- Six Month Smiles – A visible fixed brace with clear brackets and natural tooth-colored wires can straighten teeth in six months (actual time may vary from case to case). These are good for slightly overcrowded teeth and or slightly misaligned or crooked or unevenly spaced teeth.
- Invisalign clear aligners – These are also a popular option of clear aligners that work on mild underbites, overbites, crossbites, open bites, spaces between the teeth and other mild orthodontic issues.
- STB Social 6 – It is a type of lingual brace which is attached to the back of the teeth and help correct smiles from 6 weeks to maximum 4 months.
- Cfast braces – These braces are similar to six month smiles and help correct smiles anywhere between 2 to 6 months.
- Veneers – One very common method used for improving one’s smile is veneers. Dental veneers are thin, custom-made shells that cover the front of your natural teeth. Veneers are excellent for cracked, chipped and discolored teeth. They can transform your smile and make it more uniform, brighter, and healthier.
- Crowns – A crown is a dental cap for a damaged tooth. It can be made from a variety of materials, including metal or porcelain. You can get a crown over a molar or your front teeth that were specifically designed to match your other teeth.
Are there any disadvantages of only focusing on the social six?
Of course! Everything has advantages and disadvantages and some of the disadvantages of focusing on social 6 are –
- You may not be solving the real problems of your teeth.
- Your front teeth may look different from the rest of the teeth.
- There may be side effects like bruxism and missing teeth if one focusses on a treatment only for social 6.
- There can be chipping, fracturing or bite issues in future.
We leave it you and your dentist to decide whether to focus on the social six but no matter which option you go for we have a wide range of solution to offer that will help improve your smile and boost your confidence. If you wish to avail any of our services, please call Ensure Dental Care on 682-213-4114 for an appointment today. We are a family dentist near you. Ensure Dental Care is the one of the best family dental clinics located in Saginaw Texas. We also get patients from Fort Worth. We accept all major insurance providers. We have an in-house payment plan and accept care credit too. We have a very experienced and professional team of dental practitioners and we look forward to serving you to the best of our abilities. Ensure Dental Care offers emergency dental services. Irrespective of the problem we offer same day emergency treatments. We entertain walk ins as well.
Hope you enjoyed reading this blog and learnt something new today. Please recommend our blog, share it with your family and friends who may also benefit from this information.
We would love to hear from you. If you want to interact with us or give feedback and suggestions about our website, content or services on social media you can follow us on instagram. Our instagram handle is @ensuredentalcaresaginawtx. Look out for exciting offers, deals and more fun stuff on our social media handles. We look forward to interacting with you on instagram and Facebook soon.